Tuesday 16 June 2009

Brownie Biscuits

I tend to bake once or twice a week, making various biscuits/muffins/cakes for our lunches and snacks, but I get bored making the same things all the time, so I'm always on the hunt for new ideas. Lately I've also been trying to cut back a bit on the excess fat that we eat (not, I hasten to add, that I'm a fat-hater - far from it...in fact, I subscribe to the belief that societies only really started getting fat when we stopped eating fats that naturally occur like animal fats and started eating scary pharmacy-created fats like hydrogenated vege fats etc. No, this fat restriction effort is simply because we were incidentally eating a bit much crap, and if I can limit it in some areas without feeling the pinch, then it means I can enjoy my creamy pasta sauces etc without feeling any guilt later on!) so I started thinking that if I could make a chocolate biscuit which didn't actually have chocolate chips in it, but rather relied on cocoa powder for its chocolateyness, then I'd have a delicious treat that was much lower in fat (chocolate chips, I've discovered, are very high in really grotty fats). So I did a little hunting and a little experimentation and yesterday I made Chocolate Brownie Cookies which have met with great approval. They are quite delicious - sort of a cross between a brownie, a small cake and a biscuit - and each one is slightly different (which could actually be a result of my own baking inadequacies, but hey, I embrace irregularity!). They're also infinitely easier to make than normal biscuits/cookies because there's none of that pesky creaming of butter and sugar to begin with. I halved the original recipe I found and ended up with 20 pretty decent sized biscuits (I've given the halved quantities below). So you could, if you like them, double this recipe and have loads of bikkies!

Brownie Biscuits
Makes about 20
43g cocoa
200g caster sugar
62.5 ml vegetable oil (I used sunflower but anything pretty tasteless is fine. Olive oil won't work)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
125g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
30g icing sugar

Mix together cocoa, sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, b.powder and salt and add to cocoa mix. Mix thoroughly then cover and chill for an hour (the original recipe said 4 hours but who can wait that long for baked goods?!)
Preheat oven to 180degC. Roll tablespoon-sized lumps of dough into balls, roll in the icing sugar and then place on a lined baking sheet. Don't flatten.
Bake 10-12 mins or until firmish. Let cool on tray for a minute before transferring to rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment