Thursday 28 July 2011

Totopos - Mexican Leftovers

So. We had fish tacos last night, as I've mentioned. But the fridge is now full of bits and pieces leftover from the meal and there were also some small tortillas left out on the bench overnight which were now chewy beyond all repair.

Thankfully, Thommi Miers has a great recipe for dealing with this - totopos, or tostadas - fried stale corn tortillas topped with lovely things. Basically you deep fry (or shall fry in the wok in my case) small rounds of tortilla (or the whole thing if, like me, you have bought tiny tortillas) and then once they've cooled, top 'em. She has a whole smoked mackerel thing going on in her recipe (which does sound good), but I topped mine with the left over (cold) fish from last night, a splodge of the chipotle mayonnaise, coriander and lime juice. Wow - best lunch ever! This is definitely going to have to be tried out with other toppings.

And since I was lax last night with the pictures, here is a lovely shot of my lunch before I scoffed it. Such self restraint...


No comments:

Post a Comment