Friday 7 June 2013

A different sort of project

I have great hopes for my vegetable garden this year - last year's summer was just so terrible that I didn't get a single ripe tomato, and the beans and courgettes were well below par. As we put quite a lot of effort into building our vege patch when we moved into this house, I'm obviously keen to reap the benefits of that time and money last year! So seedlings have been sown and plantings are planned. But of course, there are predators to keep at bay. One I hadn't banked on was pigeons - the buggers completely shredded my purple sprouting broccoli seedlings! A more common predator of course is snails and slugs. We didn't get any last year, to my surprise, but I've noticed a few silvery trails on some of the bean plants this year. I don't really like using pellets or chemicals in the garden - more often we go with 'hand removal' treatment of slugs (ugh). It's rather labour intensive but effective (if a tad gross). But, one of the best friends for a gardener who doesn't like slugs, is the humble hedgehog! These wee cuties love a good feed of slugs so they are perfect garden neighbours.

Unfortunately, the British hedgehog population is in real trouble. Hedgerows are being cut down and the typical issues of urban sprawl are having a big impact. A report I read recently said there were only about 1 million hedgehogs left in Britain at the moment. When you think about how common they seem, this figure is
a real worry. They also had a really hard winter, poor things. Last summer was really terrible, and if hedgehogs haven't built up enough fat stores to weigh over 600gm before hibernation, they usually won't make it to spring.




So - what to do to help both the garden and hopefully the local hedgehog population? Well, build a hedgehog house of course! And that's what I did!

Before the water-proofed roof and floor were finished. Nyx is prowling in the vege patch in the background

Finished! All waterproof and warm and dry and ready for a resident!

Internal shot. The entrance has a barrier because that's how you prevent larger animals like cats getting a look in. 

My carpentry skills admittedly need work, and I was advised by the 'designer' (Andrew), but I built it and I'm pretty pleased with it!

Now all that is left is to fill it with straw etc, and somehow encourage a hedgehog to take up residence. How does one advertise to hedgehogs....?



2 comments:

  1. had no idea hedgehogs were a) common or b) in danger. Are they really so tame as to live onsite? And how does Nyx feel towards them - is she regarded friend or foe of the hedgehog? Really hope you find a resident! Can't wait to hear more. Very impressed with your carpentry skills! I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Maybe it's just because hedgehogs are the only real wild 'animals' you see with any regularity in NZ. Plus you see so many of the poor things squashed on the street. They aren't 'tame' as such, but because there are so few hedges anymore, apparently they will make a home and breed in a man-made version (if you fill it with leaves etc to make it seem 'homely'). We will try anyway. We had leftover wood in the back garden so figured we might as well! I hope we'll make a spiky friend soon! As for Nyx...she's oblivious to most things and hasn't even spotted our local squirrel despite it running around the back garden. I think she'll ignore any hedgehogs too!

    ReplyDelete