Monday 10 March 2014

Meat-free Tacos

Part of the whole cheaper-shopping thing is trying to introduce more meat-free meals into our weekly menu. I love vegetarian food, but Andrew clings on to a feeling that he needs to have meat in most meals. This is more a psychological quirk than anything I think, because he's actually not such a big lover of meat and wouldn't trouble you for a steak. So I'm convinced that I can find meat-free meals he'll like. We don't normally eat a great deal of meat - most meals we eat use only a small amount anyway (this being for both ethical and economical reasons). But proper meat-free is harder. I've made the following dish a few times and it seems to meet with approval. Typical tacos in our household would be made with tomato-based beef mince chilli (usually with kidney beans added), but I think this is actually nicer. I do have refried bean mixtures I like, but in the interests of winning over the other half, I've been trying to think of something with a more meaty texture. Green or brown lentils have proven a winner. The spices I add are as I like them - feel free to adjust/alter to your tastes or to whatever you have in the cupboard.

This is my recipe (which makes enough for two greedy people with plenty leftover for lunch the next day).

Lentil Chilli 

2 medium/1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried chilli
1 cup green or brown lentils
1/4 c tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce (or 1 tsp salt)
2 tsp brown sugar
1 litre (or so) of hot vege/chicken stock (or water)

Gently cook the onion in oil until soft and sweet, add garlic and whole cumin seeds if using. Cook a minute longer and then add the rest of the spices. Cook for a minute or so until fragrant, then add the lentils. Stir to combine and ensure they are all coated with spices. Add the tomato paste, sugar and salt/soy, plus half the stock. Bring to a simmer. Cook for about an hour. You will need to keep an eye on it and top up the stock/water. Keep the lentils moist throughout, but in final 10 minutes of cooking, let the mixture dry out somewhat. You don't want it to be too saucy as the texture is better when it's slightly drier.



Serve in tacos or soft tortillas (both in our house - I like crunchy, A like soft!) with guacamole, cheese, Greek yoghurt or sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, coriander - whatever you fancy! I would advise that you don't eat it over your computer for lunch like I did. Tacos are messy. 

1 comment:

  1. Andrew and Stephen are much alike! He to, enjoys a vegetarian meal but there is usually the comment 'where's the meat?' I must try this though I can't imagine the brown or green lentils will be well received!

    ReplyDelete