Saturday 16 January 2010

Behold! In all their gorgeous glory...



I promised a pic, so here 'tis...the new objects of kitchen glory! Aren't they pretty?

As much as I'd love to have spent the day playing in the kitchen today (it was the perfect day for it - sleet, snow, rain, hail, howling winds and now fog. Truly a remarkable winter weather selection), sadly I have been prevented from doing so because of the seemingly endless pile of essays I'm meant to be marking at the moment. I'm already late getting them back (gee, how unlike me to be running behind on my work) and they really do need to be finished, so I'm attempting to be strong and have a proper work ethic. Unfortunately every time I sit down to mark, determination renewed, I feel an overwhelming sadness and frustration settle over me. God these papers are awful. I mean truly, deeply, painfully awful. I'd rather drive rusty nails into my eyes than continue marking them (and actually, it would bring a similar overall effect). They make me want to yell and scream and throw things (if I'm honest, I have done all three on many occasions over the past week or so!) and there are just so damn many of them. UGH. In addition to the mental frustration, the essays are also making me crave - nay, need - an excessive number of caffeinated beverages, candy and chocolate, icecream (yes, it's mad to want icecream when it's zero outside, but I've recently rediscovered the joy of the icecream sandwich and to hell with the weather!) and crisps. Bye bye New Year's resolution of eating less crap. Damn you 2nd year media studies students...your complete inability to construct proper sentences and apply yourself with some modicum of critical awareness has thrown me off the junk food wagon and prevented me from playing in the kitchen!!!

Ok. Rant over.

For now.

Actually, I have sort-of cooked, although it was pretty half-hearted. Andrew is currently nursing a touch of the man-flu, so I made chicken soup in the big Le Creuset. I did read somewhere that there are actually healing properties in chicken soup...not sure if that's true or not, but it is lovely and soothing when you're poorly. Personally I like chicken noodle soup with plenty of garlic, ginger and chilli - clears your head like nothing else! What's your sick-food of choice?

2 comments:

  1. Your new kitchenware is SO pretty! I love the colour. Oh, I feel your pain! I would just want to play with them too. I'm going to try and get a non-uni job this year, rather than tutoring again. I can't bear the thought of marking. Your chicken soup sounds delicious, even to this long-time vegetarian. One of my German friends once made a vegetarian version of a chicken noodle and dumpling soup - I need to get that recipe. All I can remember is that it had leeks and little dumplings and that we used some think spaghetti broken into small pieces for the noodles. Can't wait to hear what you do next with your lovely blue pots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - soup with dumplings! Love dumplings...so soothing and comforting! Let me know if you track down the recipe.

    You're very wise to avoid the tutoring/marking horror. I'm rather stunned by just how bad these are - my UCL students were light-years ahead of this lot. Sigh. Making coffee or selling shoes suddenly seems quite appealing!

    ReplyDelete