Saturday 30 January 2010

Recipe #2...over before it began

I had intended making one of the two Chinese-style recipes today, as part of my quest to expand my repetoire, but alas, I have been thwarted in my efforts. As I mentioned in the original 'planning' post, making those two Chinese dishes depended on being able to track down the necessary ingredients in Newcastle's Chinatown. Well, I found Chinatown, and the big Chinese supermarket which I'd hoped would have everything I needed (actually I got a little lost finding said supermarket which is really quite sad because central Newcastle just isn't that big. But I found it in the end, so that's really all that matters, isn't it?!) The supermarket itself was brilliant...I had such a moment of homesickness as I walked in (weird, perhaps, but there was this gigantic Asian supermarket in Christchurch at which I was a regular shopper, so that very distinct smell of Asian grocers - a combination of star anise, cinnamon, chilli and assorted undefined but generally pleasant food aromas - reminds me strongly of home). Despite the joy of finally finding somewhere to buy proper egg noodles, miso paste and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), I wasn't able to get black rice vinegar or schzechuan peppercorns, both of which are key in the recipes I wanted to make. These seem fairly standard Chinese ingredients to me, so it's possible that the shop was just out. I will definitely try again.

Today isn't a total loss though. Since my free-range chicken was no longer going to be portioned and stir-fried, I thought I'd maybe just roast it. Instead, though, I am being brave and have attempted a slight variation...pot-roasted chicken with wine and bacon (British out-door reared and dry-smoked, of course) and I'm serving it with pommes boulangere and a salad of watercress, rocket, spinach and grana pandano cheese. Rather posh sounding, no?! I'm feeling very gastro-pub tonight! It's not precisely a departure from roast chicken, but it feels different enough to be fun and novel enough to count as a new recipe. Not sure yet how it will turn out (oh how I hope it's better than the chocolate pork!), but it smells damn good bubbling away in the oven.

Tomorrow I will be making the spiced parnsip soup (of which I have high hopes) and I'll let you know how the chook went. Hope your Saturdays have been delicious and restful!

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying following this adventure of yours! Tonight's gastro-pub meal sounds delicious - even to a vegetarian!

    Shame about the pork though it does sound rather delicious to me. I happen to like savoury chocolate though - I often add cocoa to things like beans, etc for the extra richness.

    Good luck with the soup! Can you provide pics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, I've often added cocoa to my generic chilli stand-by recipe and rather liked the richness too...I wonder if it was the combination of chocolate and almonds in this case which made it oddly sweet? Definitely worth a shot though.

    Pics? Hmm...haven't taken any but I could take one of the soup and see if I can get it to look as pretty as the magazine pic did...

    ReplyDelete