Wednesday 27 January 2010

Food magazine overload

I'm doing a wee bit of tidying today (a very wee bit, and under duress) and I've come across my stash of food magazines. I'm not regular buyer of mags, but I do indulge now and then - lured by their shine and glitz and pretty pictures of mouthwatering creations. However, much like I'm sure many others, I seldom actually make anything from the magazines. So, since it is grocery day and I can actually get the ingredients required for some of these dishes, I have resolved that this week I will make 3 recipes from a bunch of mags and report here on the results. I'm very easily found in a food funk...it's so easy to rely on the dinner standards which you know will taste good and you know how long they will take to prepare. But I really need to be braver and risk the odd failure - maybe I'll find a new favourite to add to the repetoire, right?! (and if they are all awful, well, at the very least they will make for some amusing anecdotes!)

So, the contenders this week are:


From 'Good Food', Jan 2010

Pulled pork with Mexican almond mole sauce (I love Mexican flavours and often make basics like fajitas, tacos, burittos etc, but have never made something as elaborate as a mole. I will also be making home made corn tortillas to go with said pork mole. Andrew will flip when he finds out there is chocolate in a savoury sauce! hehe)

From 'Good Food', Nov 2009
Spiced parsnip soup (because I need to make soup for my lunches in London, and although I'm a big fan of sweet potato and pumpkin soups, I've never actually made parnsip soup. Should be good, no?)

From 'delicious.', Feb 2010
Two options, both from a 'learn Chinese' section...the making of these will depend on me finding the Chinese supermarket in Chinatown in Newcastle on Friday as I need certain spices and ingredients that I know for a fact will not be stocked in my local Sainsburys!
Winter brocolli and mixed mushrooms in garlic black bean sauce
Sweet spiced chicken and cashew nuts


Stay tuned...I'll post after the making and let you know how it goes...dum, dum, duuum....

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Jess! Can't wait to hear all about the results. Makes for a fun grocery trip as well. Am most impressed though, by the idea of making your own corn chips. Could you please also share the recipe for those? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping was really fun! And I can't wait to find this Chinese supermarket in Newcastle...it'll be wonderful if it is well-equipped and I can get all my secret sauces!

    Yep, will definitely share the recipe for the corn tortillas. I should clarify and say I will be making soft corn tortillas (ie. flat breads) but last time I made them I also fried some and made my own corn chips too, so you can do the same with the recipe. Mmm, hot fresh corn chips...

    ReplyDelete