Tuesday 18 January 2011

Fragments of Inspiration

Yesterday was supposedly 'Blue Monday' (shiver in fear, ye new years resolution breakers!) - the day in Britain when people supposedly feel the most depressed all year. Some 'scientific' study has determined (in the most rigorous way possible I'm sure) that yesterday is the accumulation of bleakness for most Brits - it's freaking weeks still til pay day (we all got paid early last month and then squandered said paycheque on Christmas treats) so we're all broke, the weather is grey and shite, we've all apparently abandoned our efforts at losing 10kg by the end of the month and it's about 4 months until the next long weekend. Hence, Blue Monday.

Oddly (for me) I was actually feeling rather upbeat yesterday. My office at work was all organised (quite out of character!) and the students I met with were wonderful (bar one pimply apathetic first year male who clearly thought he'd take the world by storm at uni and now that he's realised that a BA requires you to think for yourself and he's not done so well on that front, has decided it's 'not for him' and wanted advice on switching to something more 'useful' like a mgmt degree...I couldn't even muster sufficient giving-a-shit-powers to try and win him back to the Mass Comms world). I even got a gift of a bracelet from one student as well as a lovely thank you card - not that I am more prone to liking students who shower me with gifts, I swear, but it is nice to know you're appreciated. I work in an industry where critique is an essential part of what we do, and that's good - I recognise the value and appreciate the feedback, of course. But there is something to be said about finding inspiration and enthusiasm from the likes of students you've taught who actually seem to have gained knowledge during your classes and who - shock of shocks - value your help in them reaching that new level of understanding. So, Blue Monday - that's 1 for the students and me and 0 for you!

Anyway. I digress. Or do I? No, I don't think I do. Blue Monday could kiss my ass I decided! I was embracing the happy. There were red carpet pics to view (and mock), students to chat with, groceries being delivered by my new obsession Ocado (somehow having groceries delivered makes the whole process more of a treat - like a present!) and I had eaten healthily all day (not that this was a NY resolution - I've been gyming and attempting to eat less crap for months...I am not on a band wagon I tells ya). Blue Monday - 0, Me - 3!

I had a visit by one of my lovely NZ-based friends last week (le Francaise) and she too has helped to inspire in me just a little bit more motivation. Le Francaise is one of those people who, although armed with a biting wit and capable of as much scorn and criticism as the best of 'em, is almost always able to find the humour and positive in things. I hadn't ever really realised this about her, but after spending the day together I realised that she has a wonderful way of embracing madness which might ordinarily keep you down. It's such a refreshing approach and puts you in a good mood, so I have resolved to try and do the same. (Eek. I sound scarily positive. I'm sure a spiral of doom is just around the corner!)

Oh, and we ate wonderful home-made Mexican food (with proper corn tortillas - thanks again online shopping and Cool Chile Co.!) and drank large volumes of margaritas...making the very pleasant discovery that tequila makes us happy. Not boozed or flailing, but genuinely happy. Thomasina Myers has a theory that tequila makes people happy because it's made from a cactus which grows for years in the desert and she thinks anything that has spent so long growing in the sunshine has to be naturally imbued with joy. What a wonderful theory. Pass me the limes and salt...!

No comments:

Post a Comment