Monday 24 January 2011

Loving the Mexicana - thanks Thomasina

I think I mentioned a while back my unhappy experience with a Certain Chinese Cookbook (which ought probably to remain unnamed). I also think that I mentioned my new Mexican cookbook acquisition from Thomasina Myers? (Surely?) Well, happily, Thomasina's book is wonderful. Loving the recipes, loving the vibe and the enthusiasm for Mexican cuisine which filters through all of her recipe descriptions - it's all good - great, even. I love, too, that she's a Masterchef alumnus. (Alumni? Alumne?) Speaking of which, I was rather excited to read in this month's cooking mag that British MC is getting a makeover of Tyra-esque proportions this year - it's going all Antipodean and picking up on the Australian mode of presentation. Yay! The lovely Australians have a much more dynamic and reality-tv-appropriate format in which the housemates (read: finalists) all live together over a number of weeks and pit their skills against each other in high intensity challenges. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this! (although clearly last year they were lying given the need for an overhaul). 

I'm not making any sense in this rambling nonsense tonight. I feel as if I did actually have something to say when I took to the keyboard. Oh, that's right. Yay Mexican food. I am also going to be brave and actually try some new ideas rather than just subtle variations on stuff I know I will like. I'm particularly intrigued to try tamales so I will be sure to do a decent food post about that when I do. Also, I will actually take photos of my efforts when I do, since, I've noticed the total absence of photos (good or otherwise) on here of late. Sorry about that. The one tiny problem with Thomasina's book is that there aren't enough pictures but I feel I can't really be annoyed with that since I've done exactly the same here. I think my problem is that I cant' seem to wait when food is ready - I must eat it NOW. By the time I remember I wanted to take a photo, the food has long since been devoured. I will try harder though, I promise. Unless it's really yummy and then all bets are off. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Looking forward to hearing how you go with the tamales. I've also been trying (infrequently, I admit) to try new things and to actually follow the recipe so as to avoid the ol' variations on a theme. It's tough, I gotta tell you, but the rewards have been good so far. I can also sympathise with the to-eat-or-not-to-eat-and-to-photograph-first dilemma. It's so hard to wait and style, etc when the stuff is just begging to be tasted!! But hoping for more photos here nevertheless ;-)

    ReplyDelete