Saturday 10 September 2011

A long time coming and none too pretty

At last in September we finally get the first ripe tomatoes from the Italian variety I planted all those many months ago!

The two plants of this kind are covered in green monstrosities but these are the first to ripen. It's taken months for them to turn red...proving once and for all that one shouldn't try to grow Italian varieties in the much cooler UK!
In saying that, while slow and ugly, the tom was rather sweet and delicious, and was lovely diced and folded through tonight's equally yummy dal.


2 comments:

  1. I think they're magnificent!!! When's the best time to plant tomatoes? I was thinking I might try some in pots this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very good at knowing when to plant things! I tend to get spring fever and plant everything too early so that the poor wee things freeze when the inevitable early spring/late winter freeze comes! But then, you live in much warmer climes, so I'd say you probably could sew some seeds inside soonish?? And you could quite easily grow lovely Italian varieties...the best ones I've had are my Russian beauties (evolved for much cooler temps!)

    ReplyDelete