Sunday 7 July 2013

Success at Last!

As you know, I've been trying to master the art of the macaron lately. I've been improving slowly, but I had only stuck to one method - the French method. This involves making a standard meringue, and mixing it into the almond/sugar mixture. There is an alternative - the Italian method. This involves making a hot sugar syrup and beating that into the meringue (instead of just using plain sugar). I have been wanting to try this, but the lack of a candy thermometer in the kitchen had kept me away from it. I now (inadvertently) have two thermometers, so today was the day. I based my efforts on Edd Kimber's recipe from The Boy Who Bakes. Edd was the winner of the inaugural season of the Great British Bake Off, and I understand he was known for his macarons. He runs masterclasses teaching the art (enrolling was going to be my next step if today was a disaster). Thankfully, his brilliant recipe has been a success!

Here are my vintage rose and lemon macarons (they actually don't taste like rose because I'm not a fan of rose syrup, and I didn't have any, but the colour is a rather pretty faded antiquey rose). They are shiny and have the wee foot/pied and I am deeming them a total success! Yay!

I'm not quite sure why I was so determined to succeed with this - I hated the idea that there was something I just couldn't bake! Now I'm tempted to make loads of different kinds. I suspect the people in my life might find themselves eating a lot of macarons in the near future...


7 comments:

  1. Love to try these they look delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty yummy. I will see if I can find a link to a recipe. You need a sugar thermometer, digital scales and an accurate oven though...not sure Stanley would be up to it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is his basic recipe. I used a lemon buttercream in place of the chocolate ganache, but you could flavour it with anything really. Don't use liquid food colouring though - it needs to be gel or paste otherwise it makes the mixture too liquidy. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1369639/chocolate-and-raspberry-macaroons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I baked them at 140degC in my oven (fan) and mixed the colour into the first bowl of 'paste' rather than into the meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! They look amazing. What kinds of delicious/crazy flavours have you got planned?

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my birthday on Tues I made lavender and honey ones, coffee and dark chocolate and mint and white chocolate. They weren't all as successful as these ones!! Tasted ok but not really photograph worthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Great flavour combos - which ones did you like best?

    ReplyDelete