Tuesday 14 July 2009

What to do with those leftover egg yolks? Pasta!

It's an age-old dilemma...you make meringues (or Forgotten Cookies, see below) and then you're left trying to figure out what to do with the leftover egg yolks. I hate throwing things out, but I can never think what to do with the egg yolks so they generally get put in a cup in the fridge for a week after which point they are gross and then I throw them out. A highly refined, efficient system of wastage! Now, I know you can make mayonnaise with egg yolks, and things like hollandaise sauce (which I have never had any luck with) or custard if you felt the need (I never have), but I get bored of these options and I've already got some good mayo in the fridge. So I started flipping through cook-books, desperately seeking inspiration, when suddenly it hit - pasta! It's so obvious - normally you make it with whole eggs, but why not use just yolks? The recipe below makes enough for a meal for two of fettuccine or tagliatelle, but if you had more egg yolks then you could easily double it. If you have a pasta machine, then just roll it through that and use the built-in cutters, or if you're like me and left your beautiful shiny red pasta machine back in NZ when you moved abroad, then you can use the ol' rolling pin/knife combo. It makes a more rustic looking pasta strand, but I rather like that.

Egg Yolk Pasta



Ingredients
2 free-range or organic egg yolks
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp milk or cream
1/4 tsp baking powder (this gives a little 'lift' which you'd usually get from the egg whites)
3/4 c flour (I used Tipo '00, but just use what you have)

Combine flour, salt and olive oil in a bowl. Mix in egg yolks and milk and combine to make a soft, pliable dough (you might need to add a bit more flour or milk depending on the texture - I had to add more milk).
Knead briefly on a floured bench then chop dough into 3 or 4 pieces (more manageable for rolling this way) and roll out very very thinly before cutting into the desired shape.
Boil in salted water until al dente and serve with your favourite sauce (we'll be having ours tonight with a spicy arrabiata-type tomato sauce and free-range chicken and basil meatballs).

2 comments:

  1. Of course!! Perfect. Great picture too - is that one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - should have been more obvious, but the 'ol brain has been a bit slow of late. And yep, it's one of mine, thanks!

    ReplyDelete