Saturday 24 October 2009

And something extra

If you make the mousse of the last post, you will find yourself in possession of 3 egg yolks and may be wondering what to do with them. I made garlicky thyme aioli to go on with our steaks and fries for dinner. Delish.

This mayo technique is one I was fortunate enough to find on Delicious:Days, where I believe they saw it on a late night tv ad. It's changed my mayo-making days forever!

Usually you'd use just one whole egg in this recipe, but I thought I'd give it a go with the egg yolks and it's fine...pretty thicky and fatty tasting, but I like that! You could, if you were so inclined, thin it out with a little milk or water.

It'll keep a few days in the fridge - great on toasted ciabatta, or blobbed on top of a roasted vege pizza (sounds weird, but trust me! You'll be addicted...)

Instant Garlic and Thyme Aioli

3 egg yolks (or 1 egg...or a combo?)
1 finely chopped fat clove of garlic (more or less depending on garlic-addiction levels)
1 tbsp (or so) of chopped fresh herbs (I used thyme and garlic chives but by all means change the herbs to suit you and your meal)
1 tsp dijon mustard*
1/2 tsp salt (you might add more after tasting)
juice of about a quarter of a lemon (again, add more to taste)
3/4-1 cup oil (I used a Sunolive oil which is mostly sunflower but with some olive oil - nice result. I think too much olive oil is a bit olivey, but use what you have or what you like!)

Put ingredients (in order listed) into the jug thingy that came with your hand-held blender.
Blend, lifting blender up slowly as you blitz. This will take about 3-5 seconds.
Taste and enjoy your instant aioli!


Before the blitz (apologies for blurriness...)


The magic starts to happen...(apologies for blurriness...this really does happen very quickly!)


Et voila!


*Actually, I didn't use dijon this time because I'm out of mustard. Mayo recipes always include mustard, and I've often wondered if it is key to the emulsion process or if it's just for taste...turns out, just for taste. You can successfully make mayo without mustard if you want. Good to know if, like me, you sometimes forget to restock the fridge!

6 comments:

  1. So I tried this last night to accompany some lightly cured then slowly baked salmon fillets (delicious), however, I thinned the first lot with too much lemon juice to counter or try to disguise the strong flavour of the olive oil. I don't think it tasted that great and it was too runny. I tried twice more, though was pushed for time and equipment so wasn't very careful and a bit more experimental and both were a disaster and so I ended up serving the first... On the positive side, I have learnt some lessons about mayo and emulsions in general with this disastrous episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kat!! How did you manage to get three disasters from this?! Did you have the blender thingy or were you using something else? I'm very sorry...your poor (delicious sounding!) salmon fillets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't know! I tried the second time by hand and the third again with the blender - I guess I just wasn't careful enough? I guess I'll have to add mayo to basic things I can't make! (List also includes rice, eggs and pancakes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pancakes, really? I'm intrigued...what happens to them??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm just generally impatient and so I oscillate between cooking them on a really high heat so they burn and then remorsefully lowering the heat to nothing to compensate before firing it right back up in impatience.

    Hate measuring and timing rice.

    No good at flipping eggs or omlettes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I can just see you muttering away to yourself and the pancakes/eggs as the time comes to flip them!

    I never manage to flip omelettes properly either. In fact, I've just come to accept that my omelettes will either end up as frittatas (and thus require no flipping) or they are called scrambled eggs with [insert appropriate filling here]. Omelette schmomelette...who doesn't like flavoured scrambled eggs?! :-P

    I must try the Julia method of omelette flipping one day...I can see that being an entertaining activity! :-P

    ReplyDelete