Monday 19 October 2009

Fracking oven!!!!!!!

I really do love my new kitchen. I'm sure it's bigger than many others I've had, and it contains my prized (rented) possession...the dishwasher (yes, I have become a slave to modern consumer conveniences...and I'm not ashamed of it!) But it also unfortunately contains the world's most useless (fracking!!!) oven!! It feels me with such rage that I'm bordering on kicking it. Oh who am I kidding? I have kicked..several times. See, I come from the DIY school of physical brutality...if something is broken or faltering, my first instinct is to kick or hit it in the hopes that this will make it work again. And this technique does, on occasion, work. We had a tv for quite some time that would lose its picture unless you hit it to make it come back. When watching tv in bed (and no one could be bothered getting up) we'd throw shoes at it in the hopes of hitting it at the right angle and with sufficient force to make it come back on. In the end the tv died properly, and ok, that might have been because of the large hole that we'd ended up smashing into the top of it. Oops. Oh well...
Anyway, as I said, the annoying (godforsaken) oven was kicked the other night, but to no avail. The sodding thing: A. burns everything (and I know I do have many flaws in the kitchen, but burning things is not one of my regular failings!) and B. it turns its bloody (demonic) self off in the middle of cooking things!!! Arrgh! I was baking pizzas the first time this happened. The whole thing just shut down and then about 15 mins later came back on with a flash of blinking green lights ("oh, you've decided to play now have you? well that's just fine - I've already decided to make pasta instead so bollocks to you, you ridiculous excuse for an oven!") It also did it while I was making bread yesterday morning. Fortunately it hasn't turned itself off while I've been baking a cake, but I can only imagine that would effectively ruin a cake - causing collapses and all manner of enraging yelling. Makes life very frustrating when you love to bake and cook and your oven won't play ball, no?! Our property management company are a bit (entirely) useless too, so this is going to take weeks to get any sort of resolution on. Deep sigh, sip of wine...

In the meantime, expect to see a lot of stove-cooked meals in our house!

Actually, I haven't done a lot of cooking lately, because I've started two new jobs at opposite ends of England, so that's sort of killing my kitchen time. I must figure out a way of managing this though, because I miss having that creative outlet. Actually the one thing I am seriously considering is buying a breadmaker. I've always made a lot of our bread myself, and I love making it by hand - the hands-on beating and shaping of dough is fun (I think). Plus I'm of the personal belief that most mass-produced bread is utterly crap. It's even worse in the UK than at home - it's either doughy and so dense you could knock someone on the head with it, or it's already stale when you buy it. Either way, grotty and I'd rather do without. But unless I take to making bread late at night (which I suppose is actually a possibility, but it would require considerable organisation on my part, and that's really where I fall down in that idea), I don't think I'm going to have much time for dough. That fills me with quite a bit of sadness, I have to say, so I'm wondering if a breadmaker might be the way to go.

So tell me, can you still be creative with a breadmaker, or does it take all the fun out of bread-making??

10 comments:

  1. Oh, now that would really drive me bonkers!!! I feel your pain. And on the breadmaker, I'm putting in a yes vote. I too love the experience of making bread 100% by hand but fact is, I never do it. I never feel I have the time. I mostly only prepare the dough in the breadmaker and still shape it by hand and cook in oven (though obviously the consistent cooking part of the breadmaker would be welcome in your case). It just takes out the time issue for me. And you can still be just as creative with a breadmaker. I view it as a personal kneading machine - though I like mixing sticky dough and kneading it like it's the head of my AOB, I wouldn't do it nearly as often without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you'd be pro-breadmaker...I remember you talking about the rye breads you've made and other exciting sounding things, so I think you've definitely helped to convince me of its merits. I might start investigating I think, because frankly, bread is just too delicious and important a food to have to rely on the store-bought rubbish!

    Hope you have another outlet for the AOB rage...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's actually what inspired me to buy one. I just got fed up with the ordinary bread on offer and realised one day I'd stopped eating bread all together. And I love bread.

    Erg, some major banging going on next door today... No idea what they're doing but sounds like their trying to knock our house down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they are learning to knead dough in an unorthodox fashion...?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, maybe.

    Borscht for dinner here tonight and it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, sure did. I love how long your list of labels is getting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I was just thinking I really ought to actually have some sort of indexing system, rather than just labelling according to how I feel each day! (eg. there are 3 separate Julie/Julia related labels, and about 4 different cookie/biscuit related items!) Excellent organisation as always!

    Update on oven...electrician has just been and confirmed the fan is broken. It's going to be another week (sob) before a new part can arrive. The earl grey cookies I was planning for this week will have to be postponed, but I think I'm just going to cook some bread this weekend anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Earl grey cookies? Yum! One of the blogs I follow is written by a woman and her partner who have a gourmet cookie etc business in NYC and they were serving earl grey hot chocolate at a recent fair which sounded interesting.

    Bugger about the oven but look on the bright side - a little bit longer to explore inventive stove top recipes!

    Have you tried anything with lentils yet? I seem to have been eating them non-stop recently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel as though I haven't eaten anything lately! I must have, since I'm not hungry, but no, nothing yet. I was planning to make a roast vege and barley salad for tomorrow and Friday's lunch, so maybe I'll experiment and use the lentils instead?

    ReplyDelete