Monday 7 December 2009

Another lunch on the hoof

I'm not sure why, but I seem to eat an awful lot of meals in a rush these days...either on public transport or on the way to catching some form of transportation. I'm a big believer in really making time for food, and I'm also an incredibly slow eater (really - every single family meal I was always the last to finish. I have to warm my plates to serve because otherwise my food is stone cold by the time I do actually finish) so I don't really like this new development. Still, a girl has to eat.

Anyway, today I somehow managed to run out of morning and suddenly I had exactly 15 minutes in which to make lunch, eat it and apply my makeup before running to catch my train to London. Since my makeup application today needed to be considerable (my skin has decided to play evil games and needed a fair bit of schlap to cover it up today!) that meant the food needed to be almost instant and needed minimal chewing! I had lots of eggs so that was obviously going to form the main foundation of the meal. I also had stale bread, a couple of mushrooms and a single rasher of organic dry-cured bacon. Scrambled eggs on toast would be quick to make, but I figured the toast would slow me down during the eating stage - having to use a knife etc. An omelette would be easy and quick but I needed carb of some kind since I hadn't had breakfast. What I ended up doing was chopping the bread into chunks and frying them in olive oil, throwing in the sliced mushrooms, a bit of garlic and sliced bacon. After getting it all crispy, I threw in the beaten eggs. It ended up as a sort of cross between an omelette (I'd been vaguely inspired by my stand-by potato omelette which takes a lot longer to make), french toast and a fry-up breakfast. Odd is probably the best description of the outcome. It certainly wasn't a glamorous looking meal, but it was remarkably edible and definitely sort of interesting!

Classes end next week which means no more travel to London for a few weeks. And I've put the hard work on the property management company so that the oven gets fixed this week...all of which means that I'll get a chance to make some decent, sit-down, chewable food very soon!

2 comments:

  1. This certainly sounds like it deserves a better description than odd! I hate the way stress and schedules make food seem like such a chore or a necessity rather than a luxury. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end result of the odd edible mess was horrible stitch in my stomach on the way to the train station! Ouch! I think I should have allocated more time for chewing and digestion.

    I also hate how food and cooking and eating seem to be considered chores. Frankly I'd rather not eat than just eat for the sake of 'fuel'.

    ReplyDelete