Tuesday 8 December 2009

Pastry dreams

A list of things I'm dying to make...positively itching to make, in fact:

- Christmas cookies, complete with over-the-top festive icing
- this amazing hazelnut praline cake in Rachel Allen's Bake
- a chocolate truffle cake
- really good homemade bread including but not limited to - ciabatta, foccacia (normal and potato based), pita breads and basic white french-sticks
- flaky butter rolls (see BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/flakybutterbuns_81042.shtml)
- a propery savory pie with homemade light and flaky pastry that doesn't burn before rising and lightly browning


Sigh. Oh how I miss having an oven.


Also, note to self: crisps/chips for breakfast two days in a row (followed by little else throughout the day) will make you feel decidedly unwell by the end of the second day. Must make some proper muesli bars so I always have a 'proper' breakfast to eat when I'm running late. Oh, add muesli bars to the above list.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum and yum. I really hope you get your oven fixed soon because I can't wait to hear about all of these things!!! Esp. that amazing hazelnut praline cake. Am going to check out those flaky butter rolls now - I could go one right now. Do you know how to make good pastry? I've never really tried but have a strange desire to learn to make croissants. I've had several people assure me that it's probably not worth the effort, but I'd like to prove them wrong :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made croissants, but often make my own pastry. It's what you'd call flaky or rough puff pastry I guess. I'll post the recipe if you like?

    The cake recipe I'm thinking of looks amazing though much more of a faff than I'd usually bother with. Actually I just bought some Christmas cookie cutters...bring on the new oven!

    You should definitely try croissants...I can see an amusing post from that! (you probably should wait until it cools down though...pastry making is best done in colder conditions or things can go very pear-shaped!)

    Mmm pastry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! Would love to have a go at pastry making but yes, will probably wait for cooler conditions. Temp not bad here at the moment though. Are you expecting snow at any point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're starting to talk about it being a possibility next week, although I don't know if that's for Nth East England or other parts. I did notice though, that where we live is literally the coldest place in the UK according to the BBC's weather folks today. As cold here as the very northern most isles of Scotland - charming! :-)

    Will source my two fav pastry recipes and post them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I bought Christmas cookie-cutters, food colouring, butter and icing sugar in preparation for a weekend of baking. I'm setting myself up here, but a girl has to hope!! :-)

    ReplyDelete