Thursday 28 May 2009

And the pizza wins by a nose...

I tend to be a fairly organised cook (which is odd given the complete lack of organisation in other aspects of my life!) I like to have a well-stocked pantry and freezer (so that I can be smug in the knowledge that I can always whip up some sort of emergency meal if the need arises...it seldom does, but I could if I had to!), and I always make a super comprehensive list before going to the grocery store - in large part because I'm terribly absent minded and will always forget important things if I don't have a list to guide me. But before I make my grocery list for the week, I also plan the meals we are going to have each day. This means that I actually make sure I always buy the necessary things when I do the shopping, but I also prefer to try and plan ahead so that I'm not tormented every day trying to think of what to cook that night (instead I just have one intense session of frustration whilst creating the Plan). Now this might all sound terribly geeky and boring, but never fear. My normal ditziness is about to come flying through! Because, despite my great efforts at organisation and planning, I'm also wildly susceptible to whims and cravings and tend to deviate from the list at least once a week (sometimes more often).

After a rather boozy, pub-meal weekend in London last weekend, I came home this week hankering for salads and vege and lean proteins and generally just healthy food. As such, following on from last night's delicious Thai salad meal, tonight's dinner was meant to be homemade felafel in homemade pita with various salad and hummus and tzatziki - healthy but also delicious and one of my favourite meals. Yesterday, however, I was watching an episode of my favourite TV show (Gilmore Girls - a dreadful show to watch if you are ever attempting to eat in a vaguely health-conscious way, as the Girls are constantly eating pizza, crisps, candy, Chinese takeout, burgers, more candy, fries, more burgers and more pizza) and I got a sudden, irrepressible urge for pizza. Despite the fact that pizza isn't quite the health-food that felafel and salad are, it's actually quite a good idea for today because I'm desperately trying to finish a lengthy job application and won't have time to make pita and the host of other things that would normally go with that meal.

So, tonight I will be deviating from the pita/felafel plan, and will make pizzas instead (using the recipe I listed earlier for pizza bases). But I can't decide what to have on my pizza. Typically my favourite is field mushrooms that I've sliced and sauteed with some garlic and thyme before throwing them carelessly onto the awaiting base (sometimes with a scattering of spicy pepperoni as well), and while that does sound good, today I'm open to suggestion. Give me a little inspiration...what's your favourite pizza topping???

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, just what I feel like!! The mushrooms sound good. I also love potato and rosemary with plenty of salt and have also tried a delicious potato, talleggio and walnut pizza with caramelised onions. Pumpkin, peas, anchovies and fried shallots is another favourite.

    How did you go with the application?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh they sound amazing - especially the pumpkin one! I love making foccacia with a potato/rosemary topping and also a caramelised onion topping - seriously delish! I was boring and went with the mushrooms, although I added chilli to spice it all up a bit, topped it with slices of fresh asparagus and then parmesan when it came out. Not terribly inspirational, but tasty!

    ReplyDelete