Friday 8 May 2009

Lazy noodley perfection

Today's lunch is my favourite midday feast of the moment and it's a real temple food (in the tradition of Nigella Lawson's 'my body is a temple' food). This lunch is nourishing and sustaining and leaves me with a distinct glow of warmth and health! It's also delicious, so how can you lose?!
It's basically a bastardised tom yum soup, I suppose. I start by gently frying some garlic, spring onion and ginger in oil, then adding a teaspoon or more of red curry paste (I've not tried it with other pastes but I'm pretty sure they would work too) I then add some chicken or vege stock, bring it to a boil, chuck in some rice noodles (or egg or soba even if you didn't have rice) and various vege. The beauty of this dish is that you can add whatever you have in the fridge. Mushrooms are great; baby corn and mangetout and courgette are what I had today, but broccoli and frozen vege also work. If you have beansprouts, they are grand thrown in at the end, and nuts (especially cashews) are also fab. Anything really! Then add a splash of fish sauce and some brown sugar and you're good. Coriander on top completes it, but it's still excellent without. This whole business takes about 5-10 mins (5 if you're like me and too lazy to be bothered cutting the vege and instead just sort of rip it up as you throw it into the spicy simmering broth!).
The soup is beautiful with this gorgeous oily chilly haze floating on top and noodles swirling around under that and it smells irresistable. More importantly, it's delicious and makes you feel incredibly virtuous - like you've eaten something truly healthy, but it's also just so comforting. Basically it's perfection in a large noodle bowl, at least as far as I'm concerned!

(Not really a recipe, I know, and it's also not exactly revolutionary, but it's just so damn good that it had to be shared!)

No comments:

Post a Comment