Thursday 7 May 2009

Jumping on the elderflower bandwagon


Naturally the day I decide to start my blog is a really boring food day here (I'm only making dull old stir-fry for dinner, and there's really not much to be said about that sorry!) but I wanted to just mention my newest favourite thing...elderflower cordial! Now, I realise most people have probably tried this and that I'm likely very belated in jumping on this bandwagon (no doubt it was the 'it' foodie beverage a while back or something) but who cares? I tried it for the first time at this local food festival last weekend and wow! It's so good! How have I lived this long without knowing about it?! It's fruity and flowery and light and refreshing - great stuff really. My mum is now at me to go foraging in the local countryside for wild elderflowers so that I can make my own cordial. Now, I'm not much for the foraging, it has to be said, but a drink this good might just convince me!

Also, if anyone from NZ reads this blog (assuming that anyone reads this blog full stop that is!), I'd be interested to know if they've tried elderflower cordial, and whether or not they think it bears a resemblance that world-famous-in-NZ bevvie, L&P?? I reckon it could be the secret ingredient - there is just something very L&P-ish about it.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE elderflower cordial! I only discovered it fairly recently too and became instantly addicted. I only have it with soda water or mineral water though - it's how I started and it just seems wrong to add flat tap water (esp. flat Adelaide tap water which takes some getting used to). It's exquisite! I'm intrigued by this L&P stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful, isn't it?! Totally agree about the sparkling mineral/soda water addition though - I know you can just add water, but it just wouldn't be the same!
    L&P (Lemon and Paeroa) is a Kiwi soft-drink which is pretty much an icon back home. Its colour is very similar to elderflower cordial, and they've always said there is a secret ingredient (technically that is supposed to be Paeroa, although that's actually a town, so while the taste could perhaps embody the spirit of the place, I doubt somehow that it is actually Essence of Paeroa which is the secret! But perhaps elderflowers are abundant in Paeroa...) If you ever head back across the ditch you should try some :-)

    ReplyDelete