Wednesday 10 March 2010

Of baking, butterscotch bananas and sugar burns

I've had three bananas in the fruit bowl for a good 3 weeks now. They started out under-ripe (because a certain someone in this household will only eat bananas that are bordering on green. Any sign of brown on the skin and they're a step too far. Makes buying them to keep a giant pain in the arse. But I digress...) and for the past week could tastefully be described as ready for the compost heap (if I had such a heap. Which I don't. I'd like to, but we have no space to put the compost once it composts. I digress again). Anyway, we've ALL had the overripe banana situation to deal with many many times, and naturally banana cake, banana loaf, banana muffins and/or banana smoothies are normally the way to go. I'm bored of all of those options. I mean, banana cake etc is lovely and all, but it's a bit same old same old and lacking in imagination. My friend Kat (who also blogs and is one of the only readers of this one! Hi Kat!) has been doing some rather inspirational baking of late and it has inspired me to venture beyond the tried and tested. So today I've made butterscotch banana cake in lieu of straight up banana cake. The main difference between this cake and the norm is that you make a caramel sauce and then add the overripe bananas to it before stirring that mixture into your cake mix (the cake mix in question being made with 2 types of flour and oil/yoghurt, not butter).

A little note - if you're as clumsy as I am (which is to say, considerably), then you need to be very careful and maybe wear long sleeves while making the caramel. Two tiny splatters of caramel on the delicate skin of your inner arm will sear with the fire of a thousand flames and leave nasty red welts that will alarm anyone who sees them. But sugar burns aside, this really is a delicious cake...rich, moist and intensely banana-y. Definitely a step up from the usual banana standbys.

Ingredients
250g caster sugar (I didn't have caster so just used regular. Seems to be fine)
250g banana flesh, chopped into 2cm pieces
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
175ml sunflower oil
2 large eggs
150g plain flour
75g spelt, rye or wholemeal flour (I used spelt because I happened to have it!)
2 level tsp mixed spice (I didn't have mixed spice, so used 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of all spice)
2 level tsp baking powder
½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
50ml plain yoghurt

Line a cake/brownie tin with non-stick baking paper. Tip 150g of the caster sugar into a frying pan with 25ml water, bring to the boil, then cook over a high heat until the sugar turns to a dark reddish caramel (don't stir - just sort of swirl the pan occasionally). Add the banana pieces, butter and vanilla, and simmer until the bananas break up in the caramel and the mixture is thick.

Scoop into a bowl and leave to cool. Beat the remaining 100g sugar with the oil and eggs until thick and slightly aerated, then beat in the bananas and the yoghurt. Sift the flours, spice, baking powder and soda together two or three times (throwing the bran back in), then fold this through the banana mixture.

Spoon the mixture into the tin, heat the oven to 180C (160C fan-assisted) and bake for about 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

I think this would be really good warm with icecream - or the banana caramel mix would be good with icecream by itself! The cake is good too.

8 comments:

  1. Strange how you start looking for something and all of a sudden what you are looking for is everywhere!!! On the Good Morning programme (NZTV) the cooking section was dedicated to bananas!!! Tamara, a patisserie, made banana, butterscotch and pecan pudding; and banana and mars bar cake and banana wontons with a caramel type sauce. I have just looked on the website and the recipe for the wontons aren't there but she basically just wrapped wonton wrappers around bananas cut into small pieces (using the almost green bananas that disappear quickly in your household!) and then fried them. I am not exactly sure of the sauce but even maple syrup would be good. The dessert also looked very yummy. Tamara also said that overripe bananas can be mashed up ready for using later and frozen in snap lock bags. Even better I thought that freezing them whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - banana butterscotch and pecan pudding sounds fabulous! The wonton thing reminds me of a very bad dessert experience I had once. I went to this wee restaurant in CHCH with 2 friends and ordered the Tempura Banana. Now, to me what came to mind when seeing Tempura Banana on the menu was something similar to the wontons...chunks of underripe banana that were fried really quickly in super hot oil so that the banana inside the batter kept its shape and just had a lovely crisp outside. That's what I thought I was ordering. What came was a soggy steamed banana that had been rolled in cinnamon and was served floating in a pool of melting vanilla icecream. It looked like a giant POO on the plate and tasted not much better! HORRIBLE. Why would someone make such a dish?! It in no way resembled tempura anything :-)

    The mars bar banana cake sounds really interesting too - and I like the mashed banana idea for freezing. I tend to freeze the peeled bananas in chunks because they're really good for smoothies like that. I'll check out the website though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My attempt is now in the oven. The batter was delicious. I might have gone overboard on the spice, but we'll see. I'm a big spice fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and no sugar burns (I wore long sleeves - thanks for the warning!) though I'm still trying to get the toffee that escaped during the so-called swirling process off the stove top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe, yes, sorry, forgot to mention that was another hazard! Good luck with that!

    (did you also manage to avoid searing the skin off your tongue by NOT trying to lick the spoon you'd used to scoop out the banana caramel? Hope so...!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! But only because I learned about that hazard the hard way when making the caramel pear cake the other day. Who'd have thought toffee could be so hot? (Lesson 1)! And take so long to cool! (Booster lesson).

    ReplyDelete