Monday 1 March 2010

Spring...is that you?!

It's March 1st and it looks suspiciously spring-like outside. Admittedly, it has been quite a while since we saw anything other than winter, so it might be that I don't recognise it, but the sun is shining, there's a frost and clear blue skies...sounds like spring to moi!

As the days get warmer, my inherited gardening genes start to kick in. Now, I've only ever lived in rented accommodation with generally limited (or no) gardening space, so sadly my annual efforts tend to be limited also. This year, too, I only have a balcony, but it's a substantial one and it has given me keen desire to plant, grow and harvest!

We braved B&Q yesterday for some seed raising mix and my window sill now proudly sports a seed tray full of:
Spring onions
Spinach
Tomatoes
Courgettes
Garlic chives
Oregano
Parsley
Coriander
Greek mini basil
Purple basil
Alpine strawberries (which I've never heard of but look super cute and apparently make an excellent addition to hanging baskets of herbs)
Nasturtiums (for colour and also because they're edible)
and several trays of microgreens (because oddly I had seeds sitting around for that!)

I also have dwarf runner bean seeds, but will wait til spring has confirmed its presence before sowing those, and I've got mesclun salad leaf mix (basically a bunch of random salady bits) but they get planted straight outside. One of the outdoor pots already has several heads of French garlic a-growing, and today I ordered online the seeds that I couldn't get yesterday - Swiss rainbow chard (coz it's so pretty!) and miniture culy kale, as well as 2 varieties of potato which I plan to attempt growing in bags. Crikey - that's quite the vegetable garden, isn't it?! I wonder if there will be room to actually sit on the balcony once I've planted all of that...

I'm so excited by the idea of having all of these things growing! Just think of the delicious summer feasts to be had...

1 comment:

  1. I knew I had forgotten something...I've also got Italian long red peppers propagating, although if we get enough warm sunshine to make those a success I'll be very surprised! Still, an attempted gardener can dream!

    ReplyDelete