Monday 8 November 2010

It's chicken soup time...

Brrr! And with a frosty gust of wind and some frozen shards of torrential rain, winter is upon us. So, for me, it's time for home-made chicken soup with barley. Not sure whether it's good for the soul, but it's certainly a delicious warming comfort on day's like this when you feel you're only just holding a bout of the dreaded lurgy at bay...

I'm not sure what it is about barley but I just love it. I think it must be a childhood reminiscence - homemade vege soup at Mum's and Grandma's always but always had lentils and barley in it. It somehow comforts me like nothing else I can think of.

What's your strange childhood comfort food...?

1 comment:

  1. It's warm and sunny over here but I've been craving soup too! I had some in town for lunch and then came home and cooked up a hearty vege and bean soup for dinner. And the only thing it was lacking, I decided (before reading your post, I might add), was barley! Barley is also a fond childhood food thing for me. Loved it as a kid and it still conjures up warm, hearty satisfied memories for me too.

    ReplyDelete