Tuesday 4 May 2010

Mighty Beef Fajitas

Ok, I'm supposed to be prepping for the World's Biggest Interview tomorrow (I have been working on the presumption that it finishes at 2 which makes it 5.5 hours long, but have just realised that if I am last on the list then I will be at the interview day for 7 hours! 7 freaking hours?! Bloody hell. I am going to need a serious drink of something tomorrow night. Probably several drink of something, truth be told...)

Anyway. I have a schedule of terrifying organisation for today (Andrew couldn't stop laughing when I made it and proudly pinned it to the wall last night. Pah. I'll show him - I can be organised. Although, the fact that I currently have my email open, Facebook open and am writing a blog post might indicate he was right to snort...hm.) but I finished task 1 (practice my 'teaching demonstration presentation') early, so thought I'd engage in a little blogtivity until 10am (when task 2 - practice 'module presentation to staff' - is scheduled to begin). That gives me 8 minutes so I'd better type quickly.

This is my recipe for beef fajitas. You can make it with chicken instead. I don't know that you could make it vegetarian. Mexican recipes do often have fish tacos (soft, not crispy tacos) though, so potentially you could reinvent it for a fish fajita? I'm just not on board with tofu, so perhaps this will have to be left as a carnivores dish. It does, though, like all my meals, make a little meat go a reasonable distance. It's also super quick and easy and healthy so there's no downside as far as I can see. Again, I claim no authenticity for this recipe...it's just what I do and it works.

Beef Fajitas (serves 2)

300g lean beef (I usually use rump because it's cheaper than posh cuts, but use what you like)
1 small onion (red or white)
1 clove garlic
2-3 coloured peppers (I try to use a mixture of green, red and yellow, but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. Use what you have and it will be fine. Although, I do think the red and yellow are nicer taste-wise, because they are sweeter. Your call though)
1 generous tsp ground cumin
1 generous tsp hot smoked paprika (if you don't have this, use 1/2 tsp chilli and 1 tsp regular paprika. The smoked stuff just gives a nice smokey vibe but chilli and regular paprika is also fine)
1 tsp ground coriander
To garnish/serve:
flour tortillas
avocado slices
sour cream or creme fraiche
roughly chopped fresh coriander (optional - ie. if you have it in the house, great, if not, leave it out. No biggy).

Slice beef very thinly (super thin - you want it to cook in about 3 mins otherwise it starts stewing). Slice onions similarly thinly, crush the garlic and chop peppers into long strips.
Heat oil in fry pan until hot. Cook the vegetables until onions are soft and peppers are starting to soften. Remove vegetables from pan.
Heat a small amount of oil until smoking, add beef. You don't want to move it around too much for 30 secs - let it seal first. Then stir fry it a bit. Once it is starting to look like most of it has changed colour (it's ok for this to be rare - I prefer it that way), add all your spices plus 1 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir to combine and cook about 30 secs. Add the vege. Stir and you're done.
Serve in warmed tortillas with the various additions. From fridge to table in literally under 10 minutes (even for a novice cook who wasn't that keen on being asked to help out last night!)

Ooh, and I'm 1 min over my time allocation so I'd better skedattle.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, love your organised schedule and sneaky breaks!!! I'm guessing you didn't make your own tortillas this time? Good luck with the preparations for tomorrow. And please, a photo in the fancy suit and comfy heels if you have time?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, store-bought tortillas all the way this time! And I fear there have been more sneaky breaks than organised work today, sigh...

    Will definitely try to remember to take a pic!

    ReplyDelete