Wednesday 23 January 2013

A new trick

Poached eggs are a big favourite of mine. There is little that can beat a truly amazing plate of Eggs Benedict with spinach and hot smoked salmon, served with not-quite-done poached eggs and hollandaise. Brunch of champions! And I do make it myself (since, like so many things, brunch isn't really 'done' here. All day breakfast, you betcha, but brunch hasn't quite landed. Is it an Americanism?) but poached eggs can be a bit of a pain. I do know how to do it properly, and I make them successfully (it really is all about the freshness of the egg) but they are the egg cooking method which takes the longest and seems to make the biggest mess.

Well. Today I fancied myself my standard miso noodle broth for lunch, and I needed some protein so I thought I'd poach an egg. I was all ready to faff around with a saucepan when a rogue thought in the back of my mind started cranking..."can't you poach eggs in the microwave?"

I have had some Bad Experiences cooking eggs in the microwave (one spectacularly ill-fated attempt at boiling an egg in the microwave at university is best not spoken of) and I have a distinct but ancient memory of my grandad exploding poached eggs many many years ago.

It turns out, though, that some clever creatures have more recently worked out how to poach an egg wonderfully in the microwave. Much less fuss and clean up - and (breathless, hungry pause), it takes about 60 seconds. That's seriously fast food. Yum yum!

Basically, you crack an egg into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with 1/3c water, add a tsp of vinegar, cover the bowl and microwave on high for 60 secs (my microwave is about 800W). This gives you an egg which has a fully set white and the yolk is still a tad wobbly at the top, but is mostly cooked through (which is how I like them). If you like it softer, cook it for 40 secs on medium, and then give it 20 sec extra bursts until it's as you like it.

I love learning new ways of cooking which you know you will use again and again. Trying new recipes is all well and good, but it's the small things like this which change the way you cook and eat, I think.

Anyway, here's today's lunch.

Look at it, the gorgeous cheeky egg! 

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! I love poached eggs, but they are a lot of hassle for something so simple.

    And damn you eat good food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This coming from the woman who nonchalantly whips up homemade gnocchi for week-night dinner?! I'd say that calls for a 'right back atcha, sister!'

    ReplyDelete