Tuesday 15 January 2013

My favourite no-cook lunch

Again, this isn't really a recipe, but I love it and eat it regularly when I work from home. It's also perfect when you're trying to cut down on the actual cooking you do (gosh that seems a strange sort of comment to come from me!). This time I made it with tofu because I bought some and figured I ought to use it, but if I have an actual kitchen at my disposal, I often poach an egg and serve that on top instead of tofu.**

Miso Soup for One

Soak one small packet of rice vermicelli noodles in just-boiled water (I buy packets of noodles at the Asian grocer which are single portions, but if you can only get large packets, aim for around 50g noodles). After 3-4 mins (they should be quite al dente as they will soften further in the soup), drain. To the bowl, add 2 tbsp miso paste, a sprinkling of dried seaweed and a good handful of fresh spinach. Stir vigorously until the miso is dissolved (this can take a couple of mins - it's pesky stuff). Add in chopped tofu and chopped spring onions. Protein-packed and delish with no-cooking and in under 5 mins. Good stuff.

Yet another sublimely bad picture. I did actually find the camera (or one of them) and took another pic, but it was even worse. Apparently I don't take good photos when I'm hungry! 

**I now have 3/4 packet of tofu to use. Any suggestions??

3 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! I really should keep some miso paste on hand.

    As for the excess tofu, I made really yummy rice paper rolls the other day with julienned veg, mint and tofu marinated in tamari, soy, ginger, garlic and honey. A bit summery perhaps for your snowy climate, but they were delicious and super satisfying and, best of all, no cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE rice paper rolls! Great idea thanks! I can't believe I forgot about yummy rice paper rolls. Now...where do you suppose I packed my rice paper sheets??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I pan fried some tofu last night until super crisp and served it with ginger, garlic, spring onions and some chilli sauce and it was actually surprisingly nice. I may yet become a tofu convert...

    ReplyDelete