Wednesday 16 January 2013

Mastering the Microwave

I said in an earlier post that I'm not really a big microwave user. I have one largely for softening butter to smear on bread and for reheating rice or leftovers. That's pretty much my microwave repertoire. But given the current situation, I thought it might be sensible to try cooking other things in it, and last night was my first proper effort.

I took inspiration from Ken Hom on BBCGoodFood http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1391/steamed-salmon-in-the-microwave- but I tweaked it a bit.

Microwaved Steamed Salmon

Slice 250-300g skinless salmon fillets into chunks (roughly an inch square?) and scatter with chopped ginger, garlic and spring onions. Cover with cling-film and refrigerate for a few hours.

Mix together 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 1-2 tbsp lime juice and a splash of soy sauce. Set aside.

When you are ready to eat (and I do mean ready - side dishes all cooked and ready to be dished up), place plate of salmon in microwave and cook for 1 min 30 secs. I checked after 1 min, and if it had just been me eating, I might have stopped the cooking then because I like my salmon a bit more rare than does my partner. At 1 min 30 secs, the salmon will be cooked all the way through and will still be soft and flaky. Pour over the chilli/lime sauce and scatter with plenty of chopped fresh coriander. I served it on jasmine rice and alongside plenty of stir-fried greens in a meal that felt really rather virtuous!




This was a bit of a revelation actually - stupidly quick, healthy, delicious and no stinky salmon oil smells (which is important when you are cooking in a spare bedroom and you don't want all your jackets and coats to smell of fish!). Now, what else can I 'zap'...??

No comments:

Post a Comment