Tuesday 8 January 2013

Sushi for beginners

I love sushi. It's one of the things I miss most about New Zealand - there, sushi is cheap and readily available and - more importantly - fresh. The stuff you can buy at supermarkets and the likes in Britain tastes like Styrofoam and I'm always seriously dubious about its freshness. The only time I can get fresh sushi living where I do (it's different if you live in London - you can get everything in London) is when I go to Milton Keynes where they have a Yo!Sushi which is a sushi restaurant chain. It's nice but quite expensive (if you eat as much as I do) and we really don't go to Milton Keynes that often anymore. So I get sushi hankerings. Today I'm rather proud to say, I made my first homemade sushi to actually taste like proper sushi. I've made it in the past, but it always lacked something. Not sure what I did differently today, but it was great! And so pretty I had to share. What a feast!

Oh, and the rice came from a bag of sushi rice I had cooked and frozen last week - even someone with as little grasp on reality as me wouldn't cook sushi rice for herself for lunch (Ok, sorry, that's patently untrue - I've done this many times, but I wouldn't do it in a temporary kitchen. I do have limits to my crazy).

Et voila! Or, Yo! It's sushi!

Fresh yellow-tail tuna and avocado sushi

2 comments:

  1. That's your photo? You made sushi that looks like that for lunch in your temporary kitchen in the spare room? Damn girl! It looks amazing. Speaking of amazing and of sushi, have you seen the dock 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi'? If not, please do. It was my film of the year. Simple, brilliant, moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did sort of cheat in that the rice was already cooked and only needed to be defrosted. But yeah, I was quite pleased. I'll have to do it more often, now that I know I can. I'm such a sushi hog though - I can eat stupidly large quantities. It feels healthy but I'm sure I'm just overeating! :-D

    I will definitely check out Jiro Dreams of Sushi...it sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete