Wednesday 9 January 2013

Day 3: Thai Curry Laksa

I've got a head cold at the moment. Nothing that's likely to kill me or anything, but I feel a tad poorly and snotty, so last night I thought a good spicy soup would be just the thing. And rice vermicelli noodles have the added benefit of needing no actual cooking - perfect for the temporary kitchen! It's not really a recipe, but here it is anyway:

Thai Curry Laksa

Pour boiling water over rice vermicelli noodles and soak for 4 mins or so. Leave them slightly chewy as they will soften more once they're in the soup.

Cook chunks of butternut squash (or pumpkin) in microwave with small amount of water for 3 mins.

Saute sliced onion, add green curry paste, garlic and coriander stalks, and sliced chicken (or prawns if you're not allergic) and fry until fragrant. Add 1 tin of coconut milk, half a can of water, a pile of vege (I used broccoli, mange tout, baby corn and green beans), a handful of kaffir lime leaves (essential!) 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar and the juice of half a lime. Simmer 5 mins or until vege are tender. Add a large handful of fresh spinach, the cooked butternut squash, coriander leaves and bean sprouts. Pour soup over drained vermicelli noodles and add the vege/chicken to the bowl. Slurp and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. What do you mean, not really a recipe?! Sounds delicious - perfect food to treat a pesky cold.

    While we're on the topic of spicy, I tried to cook an authentic Indian curry the other night that did not taste like all my other Indian curries. I watched a couple of vids on Manjula's Kitchen and then, disastrously, selected bits and pieces from each of the recipes to create my own. It was horrible. Must learn to follow a single recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, Indian food with its delicate blend of spices can be tricky. I guess there is balance in the spice mixes, but how could it have been horrible?! I find that hard to believe. What did you try to concoct? I made a lovely curry from Manjula's Kitchen once - it might be on here somewhere. I did it with aubergine, but I've since made the same sauce for chicken too. Yum! It's weird, but Britain considers curry to be a national dish, yet more often than not, we've had horrible curry here. The best places are in Glasgow, Leicester, probably Birmingham and the likes - places with high levels of immigration. When we buy it elsewhere, it's just blah, so I tend to make it myself. I cheat though and start with ready-made spice pastes. Let me know if you succeed with your trial and error curry - I'd love some new homemade recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate at a brilliant and super cheap Indian restaurant when we met Paul's colleague at Leicester for lunch that day. I meant to ask her the name of it to tell you about it. It was close to the uni, walking distance. She claimed it was the best in the city.

    I'll let you know how I go with my curry pursuit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It didn't have a motorbike in the restaurant did it? There's an amazing Keralan Indian place close to the train station which isn't far from uni - I wonder if that was where you went. If not, I will have to do some investigating to find this place you went to.

    And yes, do let me know how you get on! I love hearing about your kitchen experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I recall. It was a lunch buffet and super cheap.

    ReplyDelete